Ok now onto the details of how we got this little guy here... It wasn't what I had planned and actually turned out to be quite traumatic, but Aaron and I are just so glad that he got here safely and we're all doing great.
I went in for my 40 week appointment on Monday the 22nd of August and my doctor decided it was probably time to induce because of the estimated size of baby Zeke. So he suggested coming into the hospital Tuesday morning to start a prostaglandin pill, he even told me he didn't think I'd need pitocin. I was thinking "yes" because I had heard that can lead to a c-section.
So Tuesday morning we're in the hospital and he inserts the prostaglandin pill and within an hour I start contracting. Everything is great, I'm progressing and at about 12pm I am at 4cm dilated and my doctor decides to break my water. At that point my contractions pick up double time and I'm thinking why did I ever want to go natural... The pain was so INTENSE. So I ask for an epidural, it takes over an hour before I get it because the anesthesiologist is busy with other laboring mums and they need to get enough IV fluid into me. I labored naturally to 6cm, hey I still feel like that was a big achievement.
Finally at 2 I have my epidural and I'm in heaven. Aaron and I get a little bored and decide to watch The Island, we get half way through when I start feeling the pressure of my contractions, like I did when I was first laboring. I wondered if my epidural was wearing off, but don't mention it because the pressure is nothing compared to the pain I was feeling before. The doctor checks me again and I'm an 8. By 4:30pm I am feeling my contractions more and more and the nurse asks the anesthesiologist to top up my medication. He comes in and does it and the doctor announces I'm fully dilated, YES! The only problem was the epidural was still not working and so at about 5:30pm I starting pushing through my contractions, which helped with the pain, but at that point I was feeling everything.
I pushed till 7:15pm and the nurse checks to see where baby Zeke is. I am just hoping for progression, but I hadn't felt any urge to push or that he was moving down. She checks me and then says she'll be back. Next thing my doctor comes in and tells me baby Zeke is still at 0 station. I'm thinking "What??" he says that his shoulders are too big to fit through the birth canal and that I'm going to have to have a c-section. At that point I'm so exhausted and in pain I can't wait to get this show on the road and meet my boy and get him here safe. The good thing was Baby Zeke wasn't stressed out, he was doing great in the womb. Although in my mind I couldn't believe I had to have a c-section and I just wanted to cry...
So they dose me up with ALOT more medicine in my epidural and get Aaron scrubbed up and send me to the OR. I'm lying on the table with my arms apart feeling all kinds of emotions, happy, scared, ANXIOUS!! The doctor does the test to see if I can feel the pain and guess what I could. Can you believe my luck... So the next option was to put me completely out, and that's what they did. Sadly Aaron wasn't able to be in the room, but he did get to hold him immediately after Zeke was born.
It was definitely an adventure, but two weeks later I understand it had to be done and am glad to have my little family. Baby Zeke and I are finally getting the hang out breastfeeding which was a challenge at first. He sleeps 3-4 hours at a time, which is great and he spontaneously smiles in his sleep (it's so cute) I love him to pieces.
He's now starting to be more awake during the day and I just love staring into his eyes and talking and singing to him..
4 comments:
you did it!!! Welcome to the mom club!!! Way to go girl! Zeke is so perfect!
yay! can't wait to meet baby zeke!! congratulations to both of you :)
Loved reading your story, Teana! I'm so sorry you had to go through all that! But, I'm so glad Zeke got here safely! He is such a beautiful baby! Congratulations, my friend!
It certainly wasn't the way you had planned, but it's still a great birth story! The alternative "I went in to be induced. Got the epidural at 6cm. Baby was born 2 hours later." isn't nearly as good of a story. Thanks for sharing your beautiful birth story of your beautifully handsome firstborn son. A day to remember!
Post a Comment