Monday, April 30, 2012

We took our very first family vacation last month and had an absolute blast. It was a spontaneous trip which made it all the more fun because I didn’t have to wait long for the adventure to arrive. I have always wanted to do a church historic site trip. Being from Australia and also only joining the LDS church 7 years ago I have heard and learned so much about the beginnings of the church and the sacrifices made by the pioneers and have longed to see these places.

Just in case you are a reader unfamiliar with the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Saints I will write a very brief review. The early pioneers were faced with lots of persecution because of their faith and were often beaten and driven from the homes and families. All they wanted to do was be able to worship God according the their faith and live in peace. They were driven from Kirtland, Ohio, Several places in Missouri and lastly from Nauvoo, Illinois. Nauvoo was a city that the early Latter Day Saints thought would be a safe place from persecution. It was a swampland that nobody else wanted and in the 7 years that they lived there it became one of the biggest cities in Illinois, rivaling Chicago in size. Ultimately they were again driven from their homes and this is when Brigham Young led the early saints to the Salt Lake Valley.

http://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Curriculum/sunday%20school.htm/our%20heritage.htm?fn=default.htm$f=templates$3.0
This link above is an online book about the History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Or you can visit www.mormon.org

Zeke did awesome on his First Car ride, and every time we took him out of his car seat for a break, his excitement went through the roof. It was hilarious! We visited Liberty Jail on the first day in Missouri. It was so humbling to see the poor conditions that the Prophet Joseph and Hyrum had to endure. One thing that really touched my heart was that even though Joseph was unjustly imprisoned, in those circumstances some of the great revelations from the Lord came. The wicked thought they could keep the Lord’s work from moving forward if they locked up his Prophet, but the Lord can penetrate any fortified wall and no one can keep out the revelations of God.

I could spend hours writing about Nauvoo, but I’ll just summarize my favorite parts. It was a real learning experience to see how people lived during that time. We got to go to a lot of the Apostles homes and were surprised at how beautiful they were. We both realized at that point that the early saints really believed Nauvoo was the Promised Land, and put everything into building their lives there. It was so humbling to note that they gave it all up for the Lord; they were truly willing to sacrifice all things. The temple was absolutely beautiful! In front of the temple there is a monument with the Prophet Joseph and Hyrum riding to Carthage Jail, Joseph says, “This is the loveliest place and the best people under the heavens; little do they know the trials that await them.” Aaron and I listened to Truman G. Madsen’s lectures on the Prophet Joseph Smith while we drove and it brought me to tears when he talked about the two of them riding to Carthage. He said that many followed them because they wanted to keep the Prophet safe. Joseph fearing for their lives had to order them to return to their families, knowing that was the only way they would leave him.

Carthage was such a spiritual experience, as was all the places. As he got near to Carthage Joseph Smith said, “I am going like a lamb to the slaughter, but I am calm as a summer’s morning. I have a conscience void of offense towards God, and towards all men. I shall die innocent, and it shall yet be said of me, ‘He was murdered in cold blood.’” This prophecy did come true and he was killed by a mob in Carthage Jail. The Lord was so merciful to me because as I was in this place he confirmed again to my heart through the Holy Spirit that Joseph Smith was called of God to restore Christ’s church to the earth once again.
I feel so blessed to have been able to see these places and experience it with my little family, it was life changing!!

Aaron and I love the show Diner’s Drive in and Dives and so we has the visit some of the places on the way. We stop at Kansas for some BBQ and on the way home stopped at the best Country Fried Steak on Route 66. Its claim really is true, it was so good!!!



 Aaron and Zeke at the front of Carthage Jail
 We loved this qoute!
Standing in the room that the Prophet Joseph Smith and Hyrum Smith was martryed. This is the window that Joseph Smith fell out of. I heard a comment that he went towards the window not to escape as there were so many surroudning, it wouldv'e be impossible, but to save the others in the room. After he fell out the mob did leave the room and Willard Richards was able to save and hide John Taylor.

 I love Wilford Woodruff, in his room the tour guide reads this quote he says “I was in Nauvoo on the 26th of May, 1846, for the last time, and left the city of the Saints feeling that most likely I was taking a final farewell of Nauvoo for this life. I looked upon the temple and city as they receded from view and asked the Lord to remember the sacrifices of His Saints.” I just started to cry! I hope I always have the faith that the pioneers of this church did. 
 Aaron and I didn't realize this family was LDS, how cool!!

 Zeke and I in front of the Nauvoo Temple
 I love this picture, it just captures a piece of heaven for me!
 This is the homestead where Joseph and Emma lived, and their burial site.

 Zeke's turn to drive
 Kansas BBQ
 Jalapeno Sausage cooked in a corn husk
 Best Country Fried Steak

2 comments:

Maioha said...

What an amazing trip! :-)

Tara said...

Thank you for sharing, it was beautiful to read your testimony and hear about some of the places I have never been.