Friday, May 16, 2008

DISCLAIMER:

I would just like to put a disclaimer up that with living in and among two English speaking nations (US and Australia) I have come to be almost completely integrated into the cultural slang of both and so any words or terms used and not understood by Americans or Australians is not my fault. I can't remember what is American and what is Australian anymore so use your little google bar and learn some sayings from another country if you have to, it'll be good for ya.

Oh and for anyone who has never been to Australia... the whole "Elma" thing is a joke because they can't pronounce a strong "-er" sound without over doing it. Thus when people say "Elmer" over here it sounds more like "Alma" and so we have derived the name "Elma" to create some congruity. (I guess that's why people's last names have changed over generations, they just get sick of people not being able to say it the way they are supposed to... who knows if we end up here long term maybe we'll follow suit.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What you're referring to is a dialect more commonly coined
"aus-glish". Some common examples are:

"The dingo ate my baby, dude"
"g'day, redneck"