Okay first off I just have to say that I've always dreamed of having little girls. 3 of them to be exact. I always wanted to make them breakfast, braid their hair and drop them off with a big kiss in front of the elementary school. I'm quickly realizing that though we dream something that doesn't mean it comes true... and I have the stats to prove it (thanks Ryan). So my bro tells me that if you're an Elmer boy and you have kids you have an 80% chance of having a boy and that increases (thus far) to 100% if you're a son of the John or Jerry Elmers. For those who don't know my dad, I fall into that 100% category. Having said that, I've learned to change my thinking, not only for what appears to be the inevitable but because most of my nephews (I consider all the kids in the Jerry Family and my own as immediate family since I've lived with both) are boys. I use to want the girl on my lap to cuddle and now I can't wait to play nine holes with E-dawg, mow the lawn and have snow ball fights with Ben and Ty, play Wii with Calv, or especially an everything goes wrestle mania with Jack and Matthew. I have to say now that I'll take whatever I can get.
(That was all a lead in) I say that because not only is it great that I've come to this realization and acceptance of whatever God brings Teana and I (no we're not pregnant) but I've also learned in the course something arguably far more important... it's fate. I have to go back a bit for this one but bare with me. I have a niece who for a long time while I lived with my Aunt and Uncle would come over and couldn't say my name and so she called me "Arnie" and from there it stuck. Now I have a stocking at Christmas with it on there and I don't even hesitate when I hear it. I know that's me. What started as one niece became the whole clan and so now I'm officially Arnie to the little guys.
On a separate note: as I indicated before I love wrestling with any and all of my little nephews. The more the merrier is my theory. Now I know there are some protective parents out there who don't want to advocate violence and aggression... to you I say, "Don't invite me over because as soon as I can find an opportunity to wrestle with the 2-10yr old children, I'm there." I have to admit that as slack as it may sound I'm going to throw all of the blame down on my cousins. See while most kids are watching Barney and Sesame Street their kids have some how latched on to "Nacho Libre" and I th
ink it's hilarious and in this case don't see the harm (other than maybe a few wrestling injuries). Anyone who knows Nacho knows that you can't be a true wrestler or "luchadore" without the all important Eagle Powers. (Just ask Toni how important they are... or better yet one of the little guys, they know the code of true wrestling.) The other day Teana and I were doing what lots of newly weds do... looking at baby names and I happened to come across Arnie. Do you know what Arnie means? I am not making these things up and in a half serious/half joking way I can tell you that this is in no way a coincidence and I'm surprised I didn't find this out sooner. Ya see according to babynames.com (free plug, your welcome) Arnie is an English name derived from Arnold which means what?.... Eagle Power. I don't make this stuff up kids. It's there, check it out yourself. Just in case you aren't seeing the epiphany in all this I'll tie it all together for ya. I wanted girls. My little niece (representing the female baby population) calls me Arnie. I've found a way to have fun with the little boys through wrestling. The key to wrestling is Eagle Powers and Arnie means Eagle Powers. Thus we can conclude that in some way or another my niece was the means of higher powers telling me that I'm destine to be a father to many wrestling boys who need the understanding of Eagle Powers (or me, Arnie). You may think it's silly but I have to tell you that I think God has worked in far more mysterious ways than that. (okay so maybe it's not divine but I guess we'll see. At least it's worth a inquisitory moment and an epiphanic "hmmm" (I'm not sure those words are actually real... actually I cheated, the second is at least).
ink it's hilarious and in this case don't see the harm (other than maybe a few wrestling injuries). Anyone who knows Nacho knows that you can't be a true wrestler or "luchadore" without the all important Eagle Powers. (Just ask Toni how important they are... or better yet one of the little guys, they know the code of true wrestling.) The other day Teana and I were doing what lots of newly weds do... looking at baby names and I happened to come across Arnie. Do you know what Arnie means? I am not making these things up and in a half serious/half joking way I can tell you that this is in no way a coincidence and I'm surprised I didn't find this out sooner. Ya see according to babynames.com (free plug, your welcome) Arnie is an English name derived from Arnold which means what?.... Eagle Power. I don't make this stuff up kids. It's there, check it out yourself. Just in case you aren't seeing the epiphany in all this I'll tie it all together for ya. I wanted girls. My little niece (representing the female baby population) calls me Arnie. I've found a way to have fun with the little boys through wrestling. The key to wrestling is Eagle Powers and Arnie means Eagle Powers. Thus we can conclude that in some way or another my niece was the means of higher powers telling me that I'm destine to be a father to many wrestling boys who need the understanding of Eagle Powers (or me, Arnie). You may think it's silly but I have to tell you that I think God has worked in far more mysterious ways than that. (okay so maybe it's not divine but I guess we'll see. At least it's worth a inquisitory moment and an epiphanic "hmmm" (I'm not sure those words are actually real... actually I cheated, the second is at least).
7 comments:
Aaron, you definitely have some pretty sweet eagle powers. I know Ethan just loves you like crazy because he still pesters me everyday to see if you're coming over with "Tina" to play. It will be really interesting to see what your kids will bring to the mix.
Know wonder Arnie stuck. It is a powerful name.
Aaron, I always wanted enough boys to fill a little league baseball team, who knew that Brit, Molly, and Toni were going to get them here.
You don't always get what you want but you sure get what you need.
arnie...I"m so glad that youve come to love the possiblity of boys in your life. Let me break it to you easy here... probably your first three will be boys, then after that, well, we've still yet to find out!!!
But being able to teach a young lad how to summon his eagle powers is one of the most wonderful experiences as a parent!!
And let me be the fist to say that we, the Daivd Elmers, are advocates of wrestling... it promostes confidence, strength, and agility. All of which we find useful. Just ask jack. He uses all at his "gym" class!! :)
Arnie, you're the best. And Teanam, just wanted to let you know that we love you too... even more than Arnie!! jk arron, but only half kidding.
teana, i didn't mean to spell your name like that... it's something that happens when you have children and you're on the computer and you're notsusposed to be, so you're typing really fast, and then one of them comes over and side swipes you saying, "mom, Mom!!!" and in the mean time you spell someone's name all crazy like and hit save. I"m so sorry. forgive me!! :)
This makes me miss you Arnie! You never know, you could pass your Eagle powers on to a precious baby girl. Grace is a tom boy! She loves to wrestle and play ninjas.
That was interesting, because I remember sometimes wanting to call you Arnie when I was a little child, yet also felt embarrassed to do so. I may have whispered it a time or two when turning off your breathing treatment before going to bed, i can't remember.
Interestingly enough and in similar fasion, I remember Coach Spaugh & other friends calling me "elmo" on many occasions. As it happens, babynames.com identifies the name "Elmo" as "Protector". To date, my family has been safe. Thanks for the blogthought...inspiring.
Wow, so it is true not only have I returned to read this blog for a second time, but I have not been let down by the quality of the content nor the desire for greater faith promoting stories. May the mysteries of God continue to unfold in your life. And may we all grow up to understand that sometimes when you are a man you wear "stretchy pants."
Post a Comment