Thursday, May 29, 2008
Parkway Construction Old School
I first half to say that my dad in so many ways is amazing and one of the greatest examples to me. He's done a lot of thing through the blessing of God and through his own hard work and efforts (of course there are always many people who help along the way). He used to tell me about how when he started Parkway Construction he would do some of the work himself so he could bid the job lower and ensure he got it. I may be incorrect in my memory but I believe he told me he would lay the tile and some other stuff. If you read my last email sometimes, though my dad is an amazing person and great leader, due to the disorganization of his tools in our old garage I sometimes wonder how effective he'd be on the job site today (something tells me his wit and efficiency would far out weigh my youthful muscle and stamina). So I thought I'd pose the question to you who know them the best. If you had all those at Parkway with part ownership on a job site together what would you have each of them on (framing, plumbing, electrician, etc)? Let me know and why. Don't write anything you wouldn't want my dad reading. Love ya pops! Hopefully one day I'll be able to at least walk around in your shoes without tripping because they're way too big.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I know you guys do those "Fantasy sports" stuff on ESPN and all, but this sounds like something new...a Fantasy Parkway Owners Building Team. I don't personally know their building strengths, but I do know I would put Jerry on landscaping...he always has yard of the month and a great garden.
I am contemplating this one, you would think after 20 years I would know exactly who would do what.
...... but I need to work another 19 years.
maybe we should set them all loose on my house and see who can do what!
Dad would definitely be in charge of framing. He is very particular about the "grade" of wood used on a job and often recalls when he first started that he didn't even know that wood came in different grades. He loves a well framed project and yes, I have seen him use a saw, nail gun, etc. He also loves great concrete work so if Joe doesn't want that job send it to Dad. Just last week in Peru he stopped on the street to watch some concrete workers finish a job. Now, just to clarify, it was ceiling tiles that Dad subcontracted to himself to replace in a BK remodel with Uncle Jeff. They worked all night several nights to complete the job. He also did some landscaping work with Jerry on some jobs. The ceramic tile he has laid was in the very small entry in our house on Palisades - and yes, it looked quite familiar! Oh, because he doesn't like dirt on his hands too long, I don't think the plumbing would be a match for him. He did fix a GFI problem recently for his wife, but I don't think that qualifies him as an electrician. However, he can set off sparks in her eyes! I do somehow wish you could have seen your Dad in the early years like some old seminary video that goes back in time. It would be an education for sure!
Post a Comment